Information for a coach
Some information for you to know prior to starting as a coach:
Criminal Record Check
All coaches and assistant coaches must provide to the board a copy of a current criminal record check (this needs to be done every 2 years). This must be done before the beginning of the season. If these are not received, that coach will be removed, as EYBA requires that all coaches have criminal record checks. NEBA executive will contact you regarding your criminal record check.
NEBA Rule of Two
Please review this policy, which is for the protection of players, coaches and officials.
- Players: make sure its clear and easy to understand
- Parents: ensure that parents are aware of your needs and requirements from them
- Manager and assistant coaches: keep them up to date with emails and information that is shared with you from NEBA and the EYBA
- School custodians: please keep them informed of any problems in their gyms, and ensure your team is respectful of those people
- Referees and other coaches: communicate in a manner that reflects well on yourself and our organization
- NEBA President or Executive Director: communicate any league concerns you may have and we will forward appropriately
- The last Sunday of the month send in a Player of the month to EYBA
Parent Meeting for the start of your season
Please start the season off with a parent meeting to discuss communication methods, your expectations of your players, and obtain volunteers to fill the following roles: assistant coach, manager, jersey parent. If you’re a new coach, ask a board member to assist with this. We recommend that you provide a written copy of team rules to the parents, and supply one to the NEBA executive Director to help in case of a dispute with parents or players as to expectations for the year.
- Carry your paper permit with you for practices, and keep a copy on your phone. Review the permit regularly for practice dates.
- Watch your email for any gym cancelations.
- Arrive 10 minutes before your scheduled time, introduce yourself to the custodian at your first practice, and if you are a U9 or U11 team, ask for the bar to lower the hoops as required.
- Check the condition of your gym each night, take pictures if there are problems, and address it with the custodian. If you have problems, advise the NEBA Executive Director immediately.
- Cancellation of gyms requires 16 days notice. In the case of inclement weather, call the school during school hours that day and let them know, otherwise all cancelations must go thru proper channels.
- If you are ill and cannot attend practice, have your assistant and/or manager to look after it.
- Ensure your team has non marking soles on their shoes so as not to damage school and other gymnasiums. We are required to pay for damages caused, or we can lose the gyms. No outside shoes in gyms includes, coaches, parents and players.
- No food or beverages, other than water, are allowed for all gyms used by NEBA and EYBA.
- Siblings cannot participate in your practices. They are not registered players.
- Parents and siblings are to sit on the side lines and be respectful of the school - they are not to go outside the gym during your permitted times.
- Before your first practice locate the washrooms that you can use and advise your players.
Ensure your team is represented at any NEBA meetings as required
Jerseys, Shorts, and Shoes
- Please do not give your jerseys to your players for the season. We require a parent to look after them all for the season - see the Jersey and Equipment parent policy. The Jersey parent will collect jerseys following each game, wash them as required, and bring them to you at the next practice or game.
- NEBA supplies all players with a uniform pair of shorts that are required to be worn with our jerseys as part of our uniform. School shorts, Nike or Adidas shorts are not approved wear.
- If you have a player who is wearing outside shoes to your practices, we do have several pairs of lightly used basketball shoes. We would be more than happy to see if there is a pair that we can provide players who may require them.
- Please pick up your equipment on the designated equipment pick up day - respect our volunteer equipment managers.
- Please ensure the return of all equipment on the designated equipment return day - respect our volunteer equipment managers.
- You will be supplied with balls, and a coach’s bag which contains a first aid kit, coaches board, pinnies and ice packs.
- You may be supplied with a score clock. These clocks cost $1000 each to replace - please do not leave them in gyms or your car overnight. Please ensure you look after them well. If something happens to your clock or equipment, inform the executive immediately.
NCCP Basketball Coaching Courses are available - see Basketball Alberta’s website for the dates and locations of clinics. NEBA encourages all coaches to have a Fundamentals clinic at minimum. NEBA will reimburse you for coaching training.
- Team pictures are usually arranged sometime in October. You will need to sign up for your team.
EYBA plays under FIBA rules and modifications to them found in the EYBA handbook. The EYBA rule book can be found on the edmontonyouthbasketball.com website or accessed here.
On Line Game Scoring
Coach, Assistant coach, or manger is responsible to update your teams score following the game. Do not it leave up to the other team - please be the first to do it.
How to login to score games
- Go to www.northeastbasketball.com
- Click on the admin login on the top left-hand side of the website
- Enter your login and password supplied by NEBA executive
- sample only login: nebamgrobyn531871 password: 81369 (if you wish to change either of these, please contact the executive)
- Once in the website go to league games on the left-hand side and click on game sheets.
- Once the game sheets open you can score the results for the game.
- If you can, also take a picture of the game sheet and upload it to the website.
Do not be afraid to ask for assistance for anything you require. Email firstname.lastname@example.org and Donna will find you what you need.
- Provide a copy of team rules and expectations to parents and players at your coaches meeting.
- Have a written practice plan for each practice.
- Be early to practice.
- You must ensure all players are picked up after games and practices. You may not leave a player behind at a gym as this could result in us losing your practice gym. Take attendance at practices and games.
- Make sure game sheets are filled in properly in cases of playing time concerns.
- Do a team building event or some thing fun with your team.
- Have a player of the game with a reward of some kind
- One coach had a superman necklace that was passed to the player of the game each week
- Another coach has a stuffed animal for player of the game
- This works great at all ages everyone likes recognition